ie7 cannot access internet Results


Sponsored Links:



I have two PCs networked, running Windows XP Home SP2. On one of them I upgraded from IE6 to IE7. Now I cannot access the internet at all. When I click on the IE7 icon a small window flashes briefly in the middle of the screen and then vanishes. No matter which method I use to start IE7, clicking an icon, clicking Start, all programs, etc, I get the same result. Just a brief flash then gone. Any suggestions? Will SystemRestore take me back to IE6 if I get it to return to a restore point from yesterday?




I've been using W7 just fine for several weeks, but recently when I logged on my iTunes, IE7 and MSN could not connect to the internet. Firefox and Skype, however, do it just fine with no problems. I am completely clueless as to what could be the culprit in such a selective way. Any ideas?

Thanks

Btw, msn gives me the error code 80048820 but all the solutions related to that error have been completely useless.
When I run the Windows Networks Diagnostic after IE7 can't connect, it cannot identify the problem
When I run the network diagnostic in iTunes, the network interface is verified, the internet connection is verified, but secure link to iTunes store failed:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (Build 7000)
System manufacturer System Product Name
iTunes 8.1.0.52
QuickTime 7.6
FairPlay 1.2.12
iPod Updater Library 8.1d19
CD Driver 2.1.0.0
CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1
Apple Mobile Device 2.4.0.27
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.38.0.0
Bonjour 1.0.6.2 (118.5)

iTunes Serial Number 307DFFC73BE82EBF

Current user is an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2009-03-28 01:13:02.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.

Video Display Information

ATI Technologies Inc., ATI RADEON X800 XL (Prerelease - WDDM 1.0)
ATI Technologies Inc., ATI RADEON X800 XL Secondary (Prerelease - WDDM 1.0)

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

**** Network Connectivity Tests ****

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {846563A7-90A2-4A10-8445-FA93EF74AE43}
Description: Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server:
Lease Obtained: Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969

Lease Expires: Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969

DNS Servers:

Adapter Name: {5D9449D3-2A4F-4956-85DF-C9DE58D4502B}
Description: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained: Sat Mar 28 00:51:27 2009

Lease Expires: Sun Mar 29 00:51:27 2009

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.254
192.168.1.254

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was unsuccessful.
The network connection timed out.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.
The network connection timed out.
Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.
The network connection timed out.
Secure connection attempt to iPhone activation server unsuccessful.
The network connection timed out.
Last successful store access was 2009-02-21 16:12:21.




I am unable to access the latest batch of Windows updates using Windows Updates from the Start menu. Error message 8024402C. Have read extensively on the topic and am unble to find a solution.
When I go to the MS update site to download the files individually, using IE7, I am taken to the download page, then when I click 'download," receive an "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" error. Nothing has changed within my firewall setting (using Outpost Security Suite Pro) and no new software installed. I use a wireless router-no change in settings. Have tried changing the IE setting to "automatically detect LAN settings," and am not using a proxy. I was able to download and install an update using WU as recently as July 31st, without problems. Nothing has changed on my machine (that I am aware of!) since that date.
Any suggestions would be most welcome!




Sky is my ISP. I use Outlook for my Sky emails (ratherthan the Sky Google option) and it works fine, but of course, if I need to set up a new email address; or change from POP3 to IMAP, or whatever, I need to access my Sky Email Settings via Sky Email and Tools. I am suddenly unable to do this in Internet Explorer 7..
I log into the Sky Email and Tools page OK, but when I click on "Mail Settings" instead of being directed to the appropriate settings page (as I used to be), I now always get a Microsoft "Pop Up" window to the effect that "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Whether I click "Send" or "Don't Send" a message to Microsoft, I am then dumped back on my desktop.
I am not aware that I have changed any settings but as I do not often need to access the settings page I cannot be sure when the problem first started.
Strangely I AM able to access the appropriate page if I use Firefox 2 instead of IE7 BUT if I upgrade to the latest Firefox (Version3) I have the same problem as with IE. I can only assume that both IE and Firefox later versions have introduced some security feature that prevents access to the Sky email settings page.
HELP!